Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Meyers-Briggs, Vices, and Virtues

Usually I stumble over random car parts in my garage but every so often I stumble on something a bit more valuable. The team I work with recently took the Meyers-Briggs test and we reviewed what all that meant. One of the things our material discussed was that certain personality types have different communication needs and for effective communication those needs have to be addressed. Since communication is two-way, those needs have to be met in the middle somewhere. That's cool...but what was really fascinating to me was how the test explained strengths and weaknesses. According to most interpretations of this psychological profile, strengths and weaknesses are closely related. Most weakness are a perversion of one of that profile's strengths. I'm an ENTJ so using my own profile as an example, this link show exactly what I mean. If you know me well, you'll probably laugh. If you know me really well, you might NOT laugh...

http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENTJ_rel.html

Then it occured to me, if a strength is the result of a cultivated weakness, and a weakness is the perversion of a strength, then a person could really grow by identifying their strengths and using them to augment their attempts to develop their weak areas. Take an ENTJ for example, they may not always be able to empathize with others. But one thing that an ENTJ is very good at is strategizing and planning and following through on execution. So one possible approach would be to acknowledge the weakness, identify good sources of information on developing an appreciation for the feelings of others and put that plan into action. Obviously part that process would include setting aside the analytical mind that ENTJ's are notorious for and developing a more receptive

As I gave this idea more thought, I hit on something even greater. What might the implications be for the applying this theory outside Meyers-Briggs profiles? What if our greatest temptations, our greatest moral weaknesses, were a perversion of our greatest gifts? What if greed was really a perversion of generosity? Lust really a perversion of true passion and love? Hate really a perversion of compassion and understanding?

Now THAT is a concept worth thinking about...Perhaps those people who are "cursed" with seemingly impossible personal struggles have the potential to turn those weakness into something truly awesome. I started looking at my own life and saw exactly that. The areas that I struggle with the most at times were at other times where I excelled. Sometimes I think we get too caught up with a weakness and we forget what we are good at and naturally as a result we don't consider how that strength could help us overcome that weakness. I'm pretty sure most people I know could name a handful of deadly sins but I'm not so sure they could name an equal number of virtues, much less explain them. I would have to say that I can't exclude myself from that group either. But it's hard to overcome a weakness that possesses your consciousness. It can also be nearly impossible to ignore once you are aware of it. I think it's possible to develop a more authoritative and intimate knowledge of the equivalent virtue, ultimately giving the ability to fight back when weakness threatens to take over.

That's really the core of this I suppose. You have to empower yourself with knowledge of good before you can really expect to grow out of weakness. And you must know your weakness before you can turn it into strength.

1 comment:

  1. The last sentences are really true...I never thought of it that way. I think those words need to be on my refrigerator so I can see them every morning. Or better yet...on my bathroom mirror so I can see them BEFORE I even leave my room!

    ReplyDelete